© 2019 by Whole Brew World


February 18, 2018

November 29, 2017

Please reload

Recent Posts

Presidential Beer Tidbits

February 18, 2018

Please reload

Featured Posts

DIY - Russian River Blind Pig IPA - Part 2

December 1, 2016

Welcome to Part 2 of DIY - Russian River Blind Pig IPA! 


It's been 7 days and our Blind Pig IPA has been fermenting in temps ranging from 68 to 72 degrees.  I have been trying my best to control the temps but this weather has been ridiculous.  And now it's time for the secondary fermentation. You can begin the secondary fermentation at anytime between 7 to 10 days.  I chose to do it at 7 days hoping the hops would have more time to infuse into the beer.


If you remember from Part 1, the recipe includes the following for the secondary fermentation:


.5 oz Cascade - Dry hops are added to the secondary fermentation

1 oz Willamette - Dry hops added to the secondary fermentation


1 oz American Oak Chips - Add to secondary fermentation for 7 - 10 days




It's time to prep for the process of secondary fermentation.  First thing you want to do is sanitize, sanitize, sanitize!  Get the following equipment to sanitize: hydrometer, thermometer, tubing, syphon, bucket, lid and spigot.


Your job now is to transfer your fermenting beer to a new sanitized bucket with the additional hops and oak chips.  But you want to be careful to keep out as much oxygen and bacteria as possible during the transfer.


While your equipment is sanitizing, carefully move your fermenting beer to the area where you will be transferring it to the new sanitized bucket.




When moving your beer try not to shake it. Place your beer bucket up on a table or chair to provide gravity during the syphoning into the new bucket. You will see the yeast caked on top of the bucket and a ton resting at the bottom.  Your goal is to transfer as much of the clear beer without any leftover yeast into the new bucket.


Once all of your equipment is sanitized you can begin. Place your newly sanitized bucket on the floor on top of a towel to catch any splatter or accidental spills.  Go ahead and add the last two hops and the oak chips to the newly sanitized bucket.


Carefully remove the lid from your beer. You may take another hydrometer reading at this point if you choose. Next insert your sanitized syphon with attached tubing into your beer. Insert the other end of the tubing into the new bucket to catch the beer being transferred.  







Start syphoning!  As the beer begins to flow into the new bucket, make sure it is not making a splash as that will add oxygen to the beer and you don't want that.  Continue to let the beer flow all the way toward the bottom.  You want to stop the transfer once you see that the syphon is at the point where it will begin picking up the leftover yeast on the bottom.  Next add your sanitized lid and airlock to your new beer bucket.  Then put it back in its dark corner and continue to ferment at 68 degrees for another 7 days.


Lalalala.  Look at that.  Another week has gone by and the beer is ready to be bottled!!!




Guess what time it is?  You guessed it!  Sanitizing time!  It's never ending but so important.  Sanitize your bottling equipment including your long spoon, tubing, bottle filler, bottle capper, bottle caps, bottling bucket, spigot, bottles, and hydrometer.


The most cumbersome part of all of this is cleaning and sanitizing your bottles.  I have collecte